William B. Freeman practices in the areas of insolvency, creditors' rights and finance. Mr. Freeman is a trusted advisor to many domestic and foreign banks, financial institutions, indenture trustees, bondholders, distressed debt investors, fiduciaries and trade creditors. His practice includes all aspects of bankruptcy law, negotiating and drafting commercial credit and collateral agreements for institutional clients in a problem loan or “workout” context, and the Uniform Commercial Code.
Mr. Freeman concentrates his practice in representing:
- Financial institutions when acting as administrative agent, collateral agent, successor agent, treasury and cash management bank, steering committee member, participant or indenture trustee.
- National, regional and international banks and financial institutions in their largest, most challenging and highest profile matters. Mr. Freeman’s services involve all aspects of UCC Article 9, California’s “mixed collateral” rules, loan workouts, lender liability, loan sales, commercial disputes, debtor-in-possession financing, plans of reorganization, pre-judgment remedies, and foreclosure of real and personal property collateral.
- Official and unofficial unsecured creditors' committees and bondholders’ committees in major bankruptcy cases throughout the United States.
- Buyers, sellers and investors in the acquisition and disposition of distressed assets, equity and/or claims through bankruptcy proceedings—including 363 sales, secured creditor foreclosure sales and assignments for the benefit of creditors.
- Fiduciaries, including trustees, receivers and assignees for the benefit of creditors in complex matters throughout California.
- Institutional and individual trade creditors in commercial litigation disputes involving lender liability, credit documentation, collection, reclamation and other credit issues.
Mr. Freeman frequently speaks throughout the country on the subject of commercial loan workouts, the Uniform Commercial Code, finance and bankruptcy matters.
He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Special Assets Management Association.
Honors & Awards
- Turnaround Atlas Award, Gaming & Hospitality Turnaround of the Year, Global M&A Network (2012)
- Chambers USA, Bankruptcy/Restructuring – California (2008–2012)
- PLC Which Lawyer, Restructuring & Insolvency – Los Angeles (2011–2012)
- Southern California Super Lawyers – Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights (2008–2013)
JD, University of California, Hastings College of the Law
BA, University of Michigan