Qualifications and Career Profile
Jay W. Freiberg represents fiduciaries, beneficiaries and other parties in trust, estate, corporate and partnership matters, with a particular emphasis in multi-jurisdiction, tax and other complex disputes. He has extensive court experience litigating commercial, securities and real estate cases.
Mr. Freiberg serves as head of the New York Fiduciary Litigation Practice.
Mr. Freiberg is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Fordham University School of Law, teaching legal writing.
Mr. Freiberg clerked for the Hon. Diane Weiss Sigmund, United States Bankruptcy Judge, Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Recent Representative Matters
- Defending an international trust company, as trustee, in breach of fiduciary duty litigation in the federal and state courts of New York and state court in Florida.
- Representing a beneficiary of a significant estate in numerous related actions in the federal and state courts of New York, California and Florida.
- Representing a fiduciary in the settlement of numerous disputes arising from an estate and several related trusts with significant real estate and art holdings located in various foreign jurisdictions.
- Representing a beneficiary of significant trusts containing vast real estate holdings in a complex judicial accounting action.
- Defending the co-fiduciaries of several trusts in a complex tax and fraud dispute with certain charitable beneficiaries of the trust.
- Representing beneficiaries of an estate involved in contract, tax and fraud disputes in New York and several European jurisdictions.
- Representing several closely held Delaware entities in litigation actions with a UK hedge fund and a UK court-appointed receiver regarding loans made to the Delaware entities.
- Defending a registered broker in a FINRA arbitration alleging fraud and breach of contract.
- Representing a local real estate developer in a tort and contract action.
Associations and Committees
- "Probate Proceedings," American Bar Association's New York City Community Outreach CLE Program (November 2010)
Mr. Freiberg is a member of the American Bar Association and its Section of Real Property, Trusts and Estates Law, where he serves on the Probate & Fiduciary Litigation Committee.
Mr. Freiberg is also a member of the New York State Bar Association and its Commercial and Federal Litigation and Trusts and Estates Law Sections. He serves on the Litigation Committee of the Trusts and Estates Law Section.
Mr. Freiberg is admitted to the Federal and State Courts in New York, as well as the US Tax Court.
Mr. Freiberg earned his undergraduate degree (BA), with distinction, from Binghamton University (f/k/a State University of New York at Binghamton) and his law degree (JD), with honors, from The George Washington University Law School, where he was on the editorial staff of the George Washington University Law Review
Mr. Freiberg has completed the last five New York City Marathons and, through Achilles International, runs races with disabled athletes.