Health Care Tax Exempt
Attorneys in the Health Care Tax Exempt Practice represent a broad spectrum of tax-exempt organizations, including hospitals and health care systems, long-term care facilities, health plans and other third-party payors, home health agencies, trade associations, research foundations and religious organizations.
The firm represents these organizations in:
- preparing exemption applications and ruling requests;
- structuring arrangements and transactions that are compliant with current tax law to ensure maintenance of tax-exempt and public charity status;
- structuring exempt/non-exempt joint ventures to achieve business objectives while protecting the tax-exempt status of the exempt party consistent with applicable IRS rulings and pronouncements;
- providing tax advice essential in merger, acquisition and affiliation transactions;
- structuring compensation plans paid by tax-exempt health care entities, particularly executive/senior management compensation and physician compensation;
- advising health care entities on independent contractor/employee classification issues;
- obtaining property tax exemption; and
- forming tax-exempt medical research organizations and structures for licensing the resulting intellectual property (patents, copyrights) while minimizing tax risk.
Obtained a favorable ruling on an exempt/non-exempt joint venture which, after comprehensive reexamination of its position, the IRS relied upon to confirm its continued favorable rulings posture for properly structured exempt/non-exempt joint ventures.
Obtained first ever grant by the IRS of double derivative exemption for the super parent of a multi-hospital system.
Obtained numerous favorable rulings on various health care merger, acquisition, and affiliation transactions.
Provided tax and structuring advice for a $100 million affordable housing financing.